You can only get an emergency practical driving test if you’re a critical worker in England or Wales and you work for one of the following:

  • the NHS, in health or social care
  • the emergency services
  • a local council

You must also:

  • need to drive as part of your job
  • respond to ‘threats to life’ as part of your job


How to get a test

If you’re eligible and you want a test, talk to your employer. They will need to apply for you.

If you’re not eligible for an emergency test, you can still apply for a normal driving test.


You can no longer apply for an emergency driving theory test as a critical worker.


For further details, please see the Government website.

Emergency driving tests for critical workers – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)